Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Recent Work

As the winter term ended at the beginning of April (=end of studio access), and I'm trying to get everything together for our studio, I'm not really working on anything right now. Lots of ideas floating around in my head though. I was working on something when the term ended that is now on hiatus. A few months ago I bought a book called "The Great American Pin-Up" which is filled with hundreds of pictures of pin-up and glamour art and bios of the artists. So I thought it would be fun to do a Suicide Girls inspired classic pin-up. Check out the two preliminary proofs with watercolour pencil trials.


I decided I didn't like the hair just coloured in, it looks too much like marker or something. So when I get the new space up, this is the first thing I'm working on. I'm not sure how I want to do the hair. Usually I just use hard ground and draw it in, but I want to try something different. On the lingerie I used soft ground to get a fabric texture, and I really like how it looks when you colour over it, very soft. So I thought I might try using real hair in the soft ground and see what happens. I don't like to leave things to chance though (especially since I have 2 more plates this size and want to do a series), so I'm going to do a test on a scrap of plate I have lying around. Should be interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment