Thursday, May 27, 2010

Grrr...

So, last week when I discovered I wad going to have three whole days off, I was pretty excited. I figured I could pack, plan some new plates, whatever. Then, my computer crashed. Oh well, right? I can still pack, or whatever. Yeah, about that. I got the bloody Genghis Khan of all colds. The kind of cold so bad that you get up to go to the bathroom, and then you need to nap. So, while I have tried to at least get some source images together for some new plates, I am finding it a lot more difficult without my laptop. Armand has been kind enough to lend me the iPad until I get the laptop back, but it just isn't the same. It is such a fun toy that all I want to do with it is watch YouTube videos and read Cracked, which makes it hard to get real work done, as anyone familiar with Cracked can attest. Also, incase you all live under a rock, Apple hates flash, so that means a lot of cool stuff can't be viewed on the iPad. I also discovered that whatever software Blogger uses to make Blogging for Dummies so quick and easy to use doesn't work on the iPad either.



That's right. I have to try and remember good old fashioned HTML to blog. And do it without a real keyboard. Good times!



Anyway, printmaking. I managed to sharpen my scrapers in anticipation of doing a small mezzotint test plate, and I purchased a copy of The Complete Printmaker a few weeks ago, so I am attempting to read that in my more lucid moments. For anyone who is starting out, this bold is an invaluable guide to printmaking techniques, and is full of ways to save money by building your own acid trays and mixing your own hard ground. It isn't available in hardcover anymore (at least not for a reasonable price) but you can buy softcover copies, and it is also available as an ebook, so that's pretty cool. I'm going to one up them a bit here though. They had nothing to say really about building paper drawers. But I'm going to. I'm working on the measurements so I can make my own 6 drawer paper chest for about $120. Say what? Yeah, we all know I'm crazy, but when I work it out I'll be laughing all the way to the bank, and then sharing it with all you fine folks. Something g to look forward to...

No comments:

Post a Comment